Dant, located on the west side of the Deschutes River, was also called Frieda by the railroad. In the 1940's and 50's, the Dant Perlite Mine was in operation. Perlite was mined and the mineral was shipped out by rail. Most employees lived in Maupin and either drove up the old railroad bed on the east side of the Deschutes or rode the train up the west side. Some of the employees lived on site in homes built with Perlite walls. There is also an office building at the site.
The mine site and homes are now private vacation homes and no year-round residents remain. They are accessible in two ways since passenger service is no longer offered by the railroad. There is a private road on the old railroad bed on the east side of the Deschutes connecting to the access road upriver from Maupin. A dock on the side of the road provides an unloading area where gear can be loaded into an old lifeboat and ferried across to Dant. The only other access is by floating down the Deschutes (no powerboat operation is allowed on this river segment) from the putins at Warm Spings or Trout Creek.
Click an image to enlarge.