The History of Wasco County

The Dalles Links

Zac Grooms: "Party Bound"

The Dalles Photos

Mt. Adams from CGCC

Take a "walking" tour of the Historic Commercial District in Downtown The Dalles.

Provided by The Dalles Area Chamber of Commerce and Bob Koch Photography.

Columbia River from CGCC

Fort Dalles Museum

Take a "walking" tour of the Historic Houses in The Dalles.

Photography by Kyle Proffitt and Caleb Ray.

Sternwheeler on the Columbia

The U.S. Mint

The Dalles Ironworks

Hotel

The Grainery

The Brewery

The Dalles Grain Elevator, 1950

The Dalles, 1944

Downtown Murals

First Courthouse
Second Street, 1930

The Dalles-Celilo Locks, 1954
Eastern Oregon Tuberculosis Hospital

Tug & Barge in The Dalles-Celilo Locks and Canal, 1953

Second Street, 1994

The Dalles Bridge, 1961

According to Oregon Geographic Names, 6th Edition by Lewis L. McArthur, p.594

The name The Dalles is derived from the French word dalle, meaning flagstone, and was applied to the narrows of the Columbia River, above the present city of The Dalles, by French-Canadian employees of the fur companies. Among other things, dalle meant a stone used to flag gutters, and the peculiar basalt formations along the narrows doubtless suggested gutters. The word dalles signified to the voyageurs, the river rapids flowing swiftly through a narrow channel over flat, basaltic rocks. The first use of the name Dalles in Oregon was in 1814. The name La Grande Dalle de la Columbia became established. Although the city is officially Dalles City, the post office, and common usage is The Dalles. It has had several names since incorporation: Dalles, 1851; Wascopum, 1853; The Dalles, 1860. The Indians in the area called the area near Mill Creek, in present day The Dalles, Quenett, which was also their word for trout. Lewis and Clark camped here in 1806 and named it Rockfort Camp. Another Indian name in use was Win-quatt, signifying a place encircled by rock cliffs.

 

Main Page

County Map

Timeline

If you have comments or suggestions, email me at ewingl@nwasco.k12.or.us

9/27/13