The History of Wasco County

Timeline

Pre-History

Celilo Indians

1700-1750

1751-1775

1776-1800

1801-1810
1805 Lewis & Clark Expedition camps at Rock Fort
1811-1820

1821-1830

1831-1835

1836-1840

1838 Methodist Mission established at Dalles City

 

1841-1845

1842 First Settlers arrive on the Oregon Trail

1845 Construction of the Barlow Trail

1846-1850
1846 Barlow Trail opens land route to Willamette Valley

1848 Oregon receives Territorial Status

1848 Methodist Mission Closes

1848 Catholic St. Peter's Mission Opens

1850 US Army opens Camp Drum
1851-1855

1850 Rorick House was built

1854 Fort Drum becomes Fort Dalles

1854 Wasco County Created

1855 Treaty creates Warm Springs Indian Reservation

1856-1860

1857 Dalles City incorporated

1859 Oregon Statehood

1859 First Wasco County Courthouse Built

1861-1865

1862 Baker and Umitilla Counties were removed from Wasco County.

1864 Grant County was removed from Wasco County.

1866-1870

1867 Fort Dalles abandoned

1869 Wasco County's First Fair held in The Dalles.

1871-1875

Imperial Stock Ranch founded

1874 Lake County was removed from Wasco County.

1876-1880

1881-1885

1882 Crook County was removed from Wasco County.

1884 Morrow County was removed from Wasco County.

1886 Gilliam County was removed from Wasco County

1886-1890

1889 Sherman County was removed from Wasco County.

1891-1895

1891 The "Great Fire" in The Dalles

1894 The "Great Flood" in The Dalles

1896-1900

1898 St. Peter's completed

1901-1905

1906-1910

1908 Hood River County was removed from Wasco County.

1908-1912 Deschutes River Railroad "War"

1910 The public library in Wasco County was established

1906 Ezra Meeker visits The Dalles

1911-1915

1913 Second County Fair established in Tygh Valley

1915 The Dalles-Celilo Canal opens
1916-1920

1916 Prohibition Begins

1921-1925

1921 Tygh Valley became the only Wasco County Fair.

1925 Columbia Gorge Highway Opens to The Dalles

1926-1930

1931-1935

1936-1940

1941-1945

1946-1950

1951-1955

1956-1960

1957 The Dalles Dam completed flooding Celilo Falls ,.

1961-1965

1966-1970

1971-1975

1976-1980

1981-1985

1981 - 1985 Rajneeshees at Big Muddy Ranch

1986-1990

1991-1995

1991 Rorick House became the headquarters of the Wasco County Historical Society

1996-2000

1997 Columbia Gorge Discovery Center and Wasco County Museum opens

 

2001-2005 2004 Chenowith School District and the Dalles School District merge to form North Wasco County School District
2006-2010 2006 Google located a facility in The Dalles
2011-2015 2011 Northern Wasco County Park & Recreation District achieved their goal of building a Skate Park in The Dalles in May 

 

Main Page

County Map

Timeline

If you have comments or suggestions, email me at ewingl@nwasco.k12.or.us

12/2/2013